Can’t decide what to do? Here are some suggestions for 2-3 night itineraries… Day One:
- Arrive at High Meadows, 4pm. Get settled, stroll the gardens sipping a glass of wine. . . doesn’t seem like you’re just a few hours away from the Beltway!
- 6pm – you had a long drive to get here, so why not dine here in Scottsville? Try our new restaurant The Smokehouse Grille for made-from-scratch farm-to-table dining...local purveyors for everything from mushrooms to cheese, greens to beef - great vegan and vegetarian options. Desserts are baked from scratch by Cynthia, too!
- 8pm – if it’s Thursday or Friday, there will be music choices all over Scottsville! From bluegrass, to folk, to cutting-edge rock. Head downtown and mingle with the locals. Stop in at James River Brewing Company for a late-night craft beer (you might be surprised who you meet. . . we’ve got some pretty famous locals)
- 10pm – return to High Meadows. If you aren’t quite ready to turn in, sit on the back porch with a puzzle or a good book and listen to the evening sounds. Then to bed for the simple luxury of the peace and quiet of the country.
- 8am – if you are up early, take a cup of coffee out to the gazebo and enjoy the sun coming up over the trees. Stroll the dewy vineyard, or take a walk to the woodland pond to see the morning pondlife.
- 9am – Breakfast! You’ll be ready for one of our delicious treats. Freshly squeezed orange juice, something sweet or savory. . . all sorts of tasty to get your day started right.
- 10:30 – 4pm Monticello, late lunch at Michie Tavern, Ash-Lawn Highland, and a stop at Carter Mountain Orchard for peaches or apples – and the view! *For the adventurous...let us plan a vineyard horseback ride, canoe trip down the james, or a guided hike up Humpback Rock on the Blue Ridge Parkway! Be sure to ask about these fun options when you make your reservations.
- 4:30 – return to High Meadows. You might stop for a quick glass of wine at one of our neighbors. . . Blenheim, Trump, First Colony or Virginia Wineworks. You’ll make it back in time for afternoon sweets, tea or another nice glass of wine – then get yourself dressed for a night in Charlottesville!
- 6:30 – dinner at one of the multitude of Charlottesville restaurants. Whatever your taste, we have something to suit. ***Be sure to pick up the ‘Bites & Sights’ magazine from the hall. . . and when you need help narrowing your choices down, let us know – we’ll be happy to recommend our favorites and make reservations. (Or, you just might be happy with dinner again at The Smokehouse Grille! Daily specials are always changing.)
- 8:30 – stroll the Downtown Mall, catch a show, gallery opening, or enjoy the funky late night scene at Twisted Branch Tea Bazaar. . . just some of the things that makes Charlottesville such a great town!
- 11pm – High Meadows again. . . you’ll be glad to see your pillow after such a full, fun day!
- 9am – Breakfast! Different from yesterday, but just as delicious. Please let us know of any dietary restrictions in advance – we are happy to cook for vegetarian or vegan preferences.
- 10:30 – Wineries. . . if you booked a guided winery tour, your guide will pick you up at High Meadows around 10:45. We’ll have a fantastic picnic ready to go with you – you’ll be gone gallivanting for at least 4 hours – and you’ll visit some of the best wineries in the Monticello region! Your guide will let you relax when it’s time for lunch, stopping at First Colony, Blenheim, or DelFosse – all lovely places for a picnic.
- 4:00 – return to High Meadows, just in time for afternoon tea and a catnap before dinner.
- 6:30 – dinner. . . well, what did you see that you’d like to try? Did you have a difficult choice in Charlottesville? Then head into town (it’s only 15 miles to the Downtown Mall) again! If you are beer fans, then the sunset drive west to Afton (about 30 minutes) is a great trek. . . Wild Wolf Brewing Company, Devil’s Backbone, or Blue Mountain Brewery all have great beer tastings and delicious restaurants to boot!
- 10pm – return to High Meadows for another great night’s sleep.
- 9am – Last Breakfast. . . we will be sorry to see you go, and you will be sorry to leave! If you don’t need to rush home, we can suggest a leisurely drive – a few cideries or Barboursville winery if you are headed north, and a great lunch at Pomme, or Gordonsville BBQ Exchange. If you are headed east to Richmond or Virginia Beach, we’ve got another winery to share on Route 6 – Thistle Gate. For those turning West from Scottsville, here’s your chance for Bold Rock hard cider, lunch at one of the Afton breweries you might have missed, or a picnic from Greenwood Gourmet...or The Smokehouse Grille!